Friday, September 16, 2011

Sunday Scribblings - Sensation

Ok, I know it isn't Sunday, but I found this neat new blog that I want to start using as inspiration. Sunday Scribbling offers up a weekly topic to post on. This past week, the topic was sensation.

I think that our country sensationalizes people for the wrong things. For example, Charlie Sheen. That man may have many talents; however, everyone now knows him most for his "tiger blood" and "winning" rampages.

I looked up the definition of sensationalize and was a bit surprised.
  1. use of shocking material: the practice of emphasizing the most lurid, shocking, and emotive aspects of something under discussion or investigation, especially by the media
  2. theory of knowledge: the belief that all knowledge is obtained only through the senses
I guess I should not be spouting off then about sensationalizing people for the wrong thing. I've been "schooled." Clearly it was appropriate to sensationalize Charlie Sheen. While it would not be appropriate to sensationalize someone from the military signing back up for more time even after they have served.

Maybe we should come up with a different word that will put a more positive spin on what our media puts out there. Instead of sensationlize, we should sensationositive. Definition: To portray the positive nature of human kind through meaningful media production.

Of course, please keep in mind that I'm obsessed with watching shows like 16 & Pregnant, so I truly have nothing more to say. Winning!!

No comments:

Post a Comment