Saturday, April 10, 2010

Easy Chicken Stock

I wish I could remember where I read this idea so I could make sure to give them credit. I have recently started making the most amazing chicken stock. I never thought I would be the type of person who would actually make homemade chicken stock, let alone even use the stuff very often. But, I am finding that a lot of the freezer recipes I have been making lately, use chicken stock. I believe the use of this allows the meals to stay moister (not sure that is an actual word!) and the extra flavor sticks with the meal even when frozen for a couple of months. So, here is my cool new tip.

2-3 frozen chicken breasts (still on the bone)
2 bay leaves
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of peppercorns
2-3 stalks of celery
1 onion, cut in large chunks
handful of carrots (I use baby carrots just because I always have them in the fridge)

Ok, are you ready, here's the cool amazing part of this recipe...

Throw it all in the crock pot, fill up with water & turn on high. So easy! I cook the chicken breasts until they are cooked through - usually 2-3 hours on high. Then I take them out, take off the meat & put the bones back into the crock pot. Continue to cook this on high for another 5-6 hours. The meat can be used for any meal, or shredded and frozen for a future meal (it stays incredibly moist!).

When the stock is done, I drain the entire thing, through a clean kitchen towel, into an ice cream bucket (or any large bowl you have - I just always have a couple of these on hand). All the solids go into the garbage. The liquid gets covered & put in the fridge overnight. The next day, I just scoop off the solidified fat and then measure out the stock into 1 cup containers to put into the freezer for when I need it.

Be prepared when your family comes sniffing up the crock pot wondering what yummy thing you are making for them for supper. Of course, also be prepared for your children to be grossed out when they look into the crock pot and see the chicken bones bobbing away :). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment